Rock Challenge Q&A: Ciaran Cullen
Rock Challenge has taken the Highlands by storm over the last couple of years with more and more schools getting involved in the multi-arts extravaganza...here Ciaran talks a little more about his breakdancing and involvement in this years competition.
Q and A with Grantown Grammar School Break dancer– Ciaran Cullen [S5]
- Why do you break dance? It makes me feel energetic and happy.
- When did you start breakdancing? At about 12 years old, S1
- Why did you start? I used to watch dancers on the street or YouTube and thought, “I want to have a shot at that!”
- What equipment do you need to break dance? No equipment, just slabs in the back garden to breakdance on.
- Any particular music? I like any music, but currently “Tech and Fragile – remix”, by BES9 is good. You want a good beat for street dance
- Do any of your friends breakdance? In a word: NO, I am the only one of my friends to break dance.
- What moves do you know? The Worm, Pop and Lock, Chest Isolation and others
- How long does it take to perfect a move? About 1 week or more. I tend to try and learn parts and add bits on afterwards.
- Are there any famous break-dancers? Dytto, Fickshun, The Production [big group encompassing lots of dancers] Look them up!
- How was the Rock Challenge? I wasn’t as nervous as I thought I would be, on such a big stage, but it was great fun!
- Was it your own choreography? All mine.
- What would you say to someone thinking of having a go? Definitely do it!! It’s a lot of fun putting the time and effort in, it’s worth it and anyone can do it!